The ORS Spine Section is happy to announce the establishment of the Dr. Peter Roughley Award named after the late Dr. Roughley who was well known for his seminal contributions to proteoglycan research and their role in both disc and cartilage structure and function. Peter was particularly gifted in teaching and mentoring individuals, and always willing to instruct and advise his fellow scientists.
This award will preserve his legacy in training the future generations of scientists by sponsoring a trainee and mentor exchange to enhance a trainee’s knowledge in spine, disc and cartilage biology. The award will recognize a team (mentor and trainee) and provide $2,000 to support the travel of the trainee.
- Mentor: The mentor should be a well-established researcher who has demonstrated an outstanding and sustained commitment to mentorship. The Mentor can be at any career stage beyond their PhD, MD, or DVM with a well-documented and sustained track-record of mentorship, with particular emphasis given to diversity and inclusion. The Mentor must also have clearly demonstrated impactful research relevant to the mentees research project; this may be viewed in its broadest sense.
- Mentee: The Mentee must be an ORS and ORS Spine Section member in good standing. The Mentee should be a doctoral candidate or a post-doctoral fellow (PhD, MD or DVM).
- As the award is designed to support an exchange, the proposed mentor should not be the mentee’s current supervisor, and should be ideally located at a different institution.
Submission package must include:
- A complete application form, providing evidence of outstanding mentorship of pre-doctoral students and/or post-doctoral fellows, with special emphasis on the mentor’s substantive and on-going contributions to diversity and inclusive excellence in the field of musculoskeletal sciences.
- The application should document a coherent and significant advance to be made to the mentees research skills.
- Recent CVs of the mentor and mentee in support of the application.
- Support letter from the mentee’s current advisor/supervisor endorsing the exchange.
Submissions close October 16, 2023.